Guide Bjelovar (Bjelovarsko-Bilogorska Zupanija) Croatia

Europe / Croatia / Bjelovarsko-Bilogorska Zupanija / Bjelovar

Bjelovar was first mentioned in 1413 and only gained importance when a new fort was built there in 1756, at the command of the  Habsburg  Empress  Maria Theresa .

The initial role of the city was to defend central Croatia against the  Ottoman  invasions. The town had to wait until the end of these wars to be pronounced a free royal town by  ban   Ivan Mažuranić  in 1874.

The oldest  Neolithic  location in this area is in  Ždralovi , a suburb of Bjelovar, where, while building a basement for the house of Josip Horvatić, a dugout was found and identified as belonging to the  Starčevo culture  (5000 – 4300 BC). Finds from Ždralovi belong to a regional subtype of a late variant of the Neolithic culture. It is designated the Ždralovi  facies  of the Starčevo culture, or the final-stage Starčevo. There are also relics of the  Korenovo culture Sopot culture Lasinja culture , and the  Vučedol culture .

After the drop of the  Ottoman Empire  domination, Bjelovar (named  BELLOWAR  before 1850) was part of the  Austrian monarchy  ( Kingdom of Croatia-Slavonia  after the  compromise of 1867 ), in the  Croatian Military Frontier , WARASDIN-KREUTZER Regiment N°V until 1881.

In the late 19th and early 20th century, Bjelovar was the seat of the  Bjelovar-Križevci County  of the  Kingdom of Croatia-Slavonia .

From 1929 to 1939, Bjelovar was part of the  Sava Banovina  and from 1939 to 1941 of the  Banovina of Croatia  within the  Kingdom of Yugoslavia .

More on Bjelovar in Bjelovarsko-Bilogorska Zupanija  Croatia coming soon.

Source:  Bjelovar .

Picture By Fraxinus Croat